Search This Blog

Pages

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Mexican Transfusion in Richmond

A little over a year ago, while I was doing a soft-opening of Decadence Gourmet Cheesecakes in Richmond, my sister and I went out to check out a new Thai Restaurant. As we drove up, I mentioned to her that I had actually tried this one before and while it was.. ok, it was nothing special and that we should look for something new.

Before we even got out of the parking lot, I turned my head and saw a sign that looked interesting and said... why not? (One of the best decisions we had recently made!)

Maya Mexican Grill & Tequila Lounge is the name and from the moment we walked in and sat at the bar, we knew that we had found someplace special!

Colin, the bartender/mixologist supreme, made us feel right at home immediately, talked with us a little about what their offerings were and gave us some menus to look at as he made our drinks.

As many of you know, I am a taco geek and when I saw their Tapas menu, I was in heaven! I ordered a sampler of three that I knew I had to try; one of the Sirloin, one of the Carnitas and one of the Ancho Chicken, all served with a trio of sauces, ranging from semi-mild to spicy! In our converstions with Colin, we were talking about cooking with heat and I mentioned that my company puts out a Savory Appetizer Cheesecake Spread called the "El Diablo' and that I use both Ghost Peppers and Habanero's in it, along with three other peppers and he went into the kitchen and brought out some of a new sauce that they were playing with as he thought that it would please my pepper-head palette. And he was right! I was in taco heaven!

Now, yes, I do enjoy other food offerings, I do not live on a taco diet (but think about it, one could!), and in each subsequent visit (I have been back at least 10 times!) I have tried some other menu offerings.

From the Alambre de Filet Mignon con Chorizo to the Queso Fundido to the Chipotle Rubbed Skirt Steak and don't even get me talking about the Bourbon Taco's, every single dish has been fantasic.

We ended up meeting the Chef/Owner, Maria and yeah, you can tell she cooks with her soul. We talked about cooking, cooking with spices and not doing what everyone else does, it was great! (On a subsequent visit, I brought her and Colin some of the Ghost Peppers and Trinidad Scorpion peppers that I use in my cooking and cannot wait to see what they come up with!)

So if you are ever in or around the Short Pump region of Richmond, Virginia, (or even if you have to drive a little, it is worth it!), make a point to sto by!

Maya Mexican Grill & Tequila Lounge
4348 Pouncey Tract Road (Behind the Movie Theaters)
Glen Allen, VA 23060
(804) 360-0942

No comments:

Post a Comment